Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Smithsonian American Art Museum



The Smithsonain Art Museum

I finally made it to the finally reopened museum. damn it was gorgeous. I hardly noticed the art, but i'll go back many times. The vicotrian styling of the great hall is stunning, and super fun in that elegant/ carnivalesque kinda of way that only the victorians can be. The hall on the east side of the building is a wonderful space for modern american art. Funny that most people in the room at the time i walked through it were SITTING in front of the television installation. I remember the bathrooms from the museum pre-closing were fascinating in that old institutional tiled way. Now, they look like any plain restaurant. i was disappointed by that.



Here is the view from the Portico Cafe, which by the way has a full bar.



here is the row across the street with the inspiring facades.



Penn Quarter/ Gallery Place is really turning into the best neighborhood in DC, in my opinion.


I also swung by the National Building Museum
which has a good exhibit on Green building practices. Check it out. I am a big fan of the green roof. and im a sucker for beautiful buildings.

1 comment:

Reya Mellicker said...

I noticed the inspiring facades across the street, too. I popped in a few weeks ago and quickly realized I will have to return again and again. It is truly gorgeous.

Maybe we could try to meet there, on a Saturday maybe?